Sunday, January 9, 2011

2011 and the Joys of Coaching

I've been sporadically blogging since I started this, but I'm hoping to blog more often in 2011. One year ago, after 2009 was one of the worst years of my life, I vowed to make 2010 the best one yet. It started out better than it could have expected, between my best academic semester ever, nearly winning Skier of the Year in the Skinnyski Series, winning Co-Presidency, and finding love. However, after my heart was broken the year was up and down, ending on a down note. While 2010 was an improvement over 2009, I remember how it ended and hope to make 2011 more consistently good.

Yesterday was the Giants Ridge Invitational (formerly Mesabi East Invite) which is the largest ski race in North America with over 1100 skiers from all over the country. It was also the first time my past (Irondale ski team) and my present (TrekNorth ski team) would be competing on the same snow. It was an amazing day for both the kids and myself, and a great learning experience overall. For a second year ski program, the kids show a lot of heart in the face of tough, cold conditions. The varsity team was put in the classic field, with most of them racing in classic for only the second or third time ever, while for one of our skiers it was his first 5k race ever. Baptism by fire, but I'm so proud of the kids for what they did. Irondale also had a phenomenal day and has a very special team this year, so major kudos to Marsh, Erickson, and Torvi for all the work they've done.

I can't even begin to describe how much I love coaching. I honestly think this is the best decision I've ever made! It's amazing to watch kids transition to having never been on skis before to competing in the largest ski race in North America. The team has such a great attitude and loves skiing, and it's really left a positive influence on me. There's a long road to go, but TrekNorth is on the right path. As a coach, I picked up a lot from yesterday, from what should be in the warchest brought to every race, to a checklist I should have of how to stay warm and coach in the middle of the trail. Just an amazing experience all around.

With classes beginning this week, the Minnesota Skinnyski Series picking up again in Duluth next weekend, another TrekNorth race in between, and Student Senate starting again, this is the beginning of what I feel is going to be a special semester. This might be my last semester in Bemidji, and I'm going to make the best of it.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy every moment of it, Michael. Bemidji is a special place (and I know you are WELL aware of that), and I hope this semester turns out to be even more than you hope for. Hopefully we will also be able to see more of each other in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meehlhause, when are you going to bless us with anther post?

    ReplyDelete