Friday, June 3, 2011

Student Senate Farewell Speech

I meant to put this up earlier, but this is my farewell speech to Student Senate.

Well, here we are. Four years ago if you had told me that I would have the privilege of serving as your Co-President, I probably wouldn't have believed you. We've been through a lot together both this past year and the last four years; through many hard days and nights and countless times of hope and joy. This organization has grown to mean so much to me and has helped me to grow as a leader, a teacher, and a person. It wasn't easy, but whether it was getting the Sanford Center built, trying to save the Track team, establishing a Green Fee, going Tobacco Free, or responding to Recalibration, each issue that Student Senate took on taught me just how much of a difference students could make.

I couldn't have done all this without the support of amazing people along the way. My parents who taught me the value of hard work, former Presidents, Vice Presidents, and Co-Presidents who lead by example, our adviser for being a mentor along the way, administration for always being so student centered, my fellow graduating seniors for the opportunity to grow with you, and the best Co-Presidents I could have had the honor of serving with. Most of all, it was anyone who walked into this room with a desire to get involved and make a difference. To everyone in this room and everyone I've had the pleasure of serving with during my time here, you're more than just my friends, you're my family. Four years isn't long enough to spend with people as dedicated and as passionate as you.

What have I learned here? More than we have time to recount, but I want to leave you with these enduring lessons. Don't give up on your personal beliefs and passions, or more importantly on each other. Never stop learning from one another, and remember that we are all in this together. If you work really hard and have respect for others, amazing things will happen. Most of all, never forget the reason why you are all here; it's not about personal ambitions, or the money, or the title. It's about the students, for we are their voice.

And it is in that spirit that I say thank you for all the memories and all that I have learned from you. It has been the ultimate honor and my richest reward. David Andrade and Charlie Woodson, it's your turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment